Compare mobility scooters
Mobility scooters 4 wheels Mobility Scooters
If you’re considering buying a mobility scooter to aid you in your day-to-day life, choosing one with four wheels is the common choice.
They’re the most common type of mobility scooter and can be bought online or in shops for prices ranging from £400 to £5000.
Although 3-wheeled scooters can make turns in far less space than a 4-wheeled scooter, 4-wheeled scooters have the advantage of being the safe and stable option. This is because a 4-wheeled scooter tends to be more "surefooted" and less likely to tip over due to having more wheels set down on the ground.
Four-wheel scooters are also considered the most reliable when it comes to outdoor use.
Although the 3-wheeled scooter has a better turning-circle, many people don’t see this as too much of a problem as they base their decisions on practicalities like visiting the shops. This means that many people don’t really require a scooter with a tight turning-circle.
If you do decide on a 4-wheeled scooter but think you may require increased manoeuvrability, some 4 wheelers have a hybrid design that places the front wheels close together.
As they’re intended mainly for outdoor use, many 4-wheeled mobility scooters will include front and rear suspension to provide a much smoother ride at higher speeds. This is something far less common in 3 wheel scooters.
Deciding on the right mobility scooter for you will depend on several factors:
- Do you need a mobility scooter that can be easily stored and transported?
- Do you intend to navigate difficult terrains? Four wheels will provide you with extra power and stability.
- Where are you like to purchase your mobility scooter? Online or from a dedicated mobility scooter dealer?
- Is the mobility scooter comfortable enough for you? Consider your comfort by measuring the length of your legs and the room it provides.
- Do you want to include accessories with your mobility scooter? Examples include canopies for rain protection or storage for crutches.
The 4-wheeled mobility scooter has everything you need to improve your quality of life. It provides comfort and is durable enough to cover significant distances.
Most scooters will come with safety features like lights for dark Winter days and a horn to call for attention, but remember to read reviews online and speak in-store to experts who will help you make the right decision for your personal situation.